Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content


The Opal card

The Opal card is a smartcard used to pay for public transport in Sydney, and as far as Katoomba, Wollongong and Newcastle. You can buy single-use Opal tickets, or a reusable card that can be topped up and offers better value for money. You can purchase or top up your Opal card from machines at train stations, most newsagents and convenience stores, or purchase and top up online.

You can also use American Express, Mastercard, Visa credit or debit cards or a linked device using contactless payments.

Can I get a concession Opal card?

Yes – if you are:

  • a full-time domestic student, or
  • an international student with a specified government-funded scholarship (such as AusAID)

No – if you are:

  • a part-time domestic student, or
  • a self-funded international student, or international student on any other form of scholarship

If you are not sure of your eligibility you should apply for a concession Opal card. Apply for a tertiary student concession Opal card.

Timetables and trip planning

Transport NSW has online timetables and trip-planning tools on their website. They can also recommend transport apps for your smart device.


The fines for being caught with the wrong card or ticket on public transport can be high – up to $200. During semester ticket inspectors often wait at bus stops near the University. More information on fines.

Free campus shuttle bus

The University operates several free shuttle bus services:

  • Camperdown/Darlington campus to Redfern station
  • Cumberland campus to Lidcombe station
  • Camperdown campus to Australian Technology Park
  • Camperdown campus to Rozelle campus
  • Camden campus to Camden CBD and Campbelltown station

Free campus shuttle bus timetable and information.

Accessibility on campus

The shuttle bus between Redfern station and Camperdown/Darlington campus has wheelchair access on all services. Students with a mobility parking permit may park in accessible parking spaces. If you have medical or special circumstances that impact your mobility, check your eligibility or contact Campus Security.

For emergency transport needs on Camperdown/Darlington campus, students can contact Campus Security on 9351 3333 and request a vehicle with full hydraulic wheelchair lift.

Village to Village bus

The Village to Village bus free bus services run on Thursdays and Fridays within the City of Sydney, and close to Darlington campus. There are four routes available:

  • Redfern to Broadway and the Fish Markets via Alexandria and Newtown
  • Redfern to Broadway via Glebe
  • Woolloomooloo to Redfern and Broadway via Kings Cross, Surry Hills, and Central Station
  • Broadway to Paddy’s Markets/Chinatown via Millers Point


The University website features information on the best and safest cycle routes to Camperdown campus and Lidcombe campus, including the locations of bike parking stations and showers.

Parking your bike on campus

Bike parking is shown on the University’s campus maps. Be careful to park only in designated bike parking or your bike may be removed and taken to Campus Security. Make sure you lock your bike correctly and use a high-quality lock.

Buying a car

If you need to buy a car, the Department of Transport has some useful information to read.

The SUPRA office is closed – but you can still get help!

To help protect the health of our community during COVID-19 our Postgraduate Advocacy Service, Legal Service and council are working from home. We are working to full capacity and are providing timely and accurate information, advice and support.