Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content

Health and medical services

The University provides free or low-cost health and medical services to all students. The University Health Service (UHS) is a student-oriented general practice located on Camperdown campus. Local students with Medicare cards and international students who have Allianz Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) will not have to pay for consultations. Some additional costs do apply for vaccines, equipment or cancellation fees.

International students who do not use Allianz OSHC will need to pay at the time of consultation and then claim a refund from their insurer.

If you receive assistance from a health or medical practitioner, and you think your health may impact your studies, ask for a Professional Practitioner Certificate. This is the University’s preferred form of medical certificate. It is free, and is your right. If you need to request special consideration because health issues have affected your studies, exams or assessments, it is important to have a Professional Practitioner Certificate.

University Health Service
(02) 9351 3484
Level 3, Wentworth Building, City Road, Darlington Campus
Hours: 8.30am – 5.30pm, Monday to Friday except on public holidays

Emergency assistance

In a medical emergency, phone 000 (and/or 112 from mobile phones). You can also download the Emergency+ app which can provide GPS location data to emergency services when you contact them through the app.

Public hospitals

Anyone in Australia can visit the emergency department at any public hospital if you have a medical emergency, at any time of day or night. Do not go to hospital unless you have a genuine emergency. If you go to hospital instead of a regular doctor and the hospital assesses you did not have a medical emergency, you will be charged around $400-$500.

Find your nearest emergency department.

Dental services

If you’re not covered by private health insurance, visiting a dentist can be expensive.

Sydney Dental Hospital in Surry Hills provides free dental care to eligible adults and free dental care to children. The Dental Hospital also provides emergency dental treatment, such as for pain and trauma. However, there can be extensive waits for treatment. Phone (02) 9293 3333.

Campus Dental is a private practice in the Wentworth Building on Camperdown campus. Payment is required on consultation, though a 10% discount is given to USU Rewards members. Phone (02) 9692 8900.

Counselling services

Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provides free and confidential individual counselling to all University of Sydney students. Counsellors can assist students with problems such as exam stress, anxiety, and family issues. CAPS also offer many free workshops and online resources.

CAPS on Camperdown campus:
(02) 8627 8433

CAPS on Cumberland campus:
(02) 8627 8437

Sydney University Psychology Clinic provides low-cost treatment and assessments by trainee clinical psychologists under the supervision of experienced clinical psychologists and clinical neuropsychologists. Cost per session is $10 for all full-time students and unemployed people. Psychometric assessments cost $150 for all full-time students and unemployed people. Phone (02) 9114 4343 or visit Level 2 (M02F), 94 Mallett St, Camperdown.

General medical and sexual health service

The following external medical services offer bulk billing for local students, and the maximum Allianz rebate ($37.05) for international students, for a short consultation. Some services also have multilingual general practitioners (GPs) or counsellors.

Broadway Myhealth Medical Centre Broadway
(02) 8866 3111

CityDoc Redfern
(02) 8399 5320

Ashfield Multicare Medical Centre
(02) 9798 6999
(Cantonese, Mandarin, Hindi and Bengali-speaking GPs available)

Lidcombe Family Medical Centre
(02) 8022 8442
(Bengali, Hindi, Farsi and Tamil-speaking GPs available)

Chatswood Myhealth Medical Centre
(02) 9411 4899
(Mandarin, Shanghainese, Urdu and Hindi-speaking GPs available)

Parramatta Medical Centre
(02) 9762 1041
(Mandarin, Malayalam, Urdu and Hindi-speaking GPs available)

Offers sexual health screenings and treatment for trans and gender diverse people. Book online.

Check OUT
Offers sexual health and cervical screening for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer people. Book online.

Offers sexual health screenings for gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer people who identify as men and other men who have sex with men. Book online.

Womens health centres

Women’s health centres provide services focusing on women’s health issues, such as pregnancy counselling, cervical screening and breast checks. They also offer alternative therapies, support groups, counselling services, as well as advice for women experiencing domestic violence. Some services are fee-based. Find a women’s health centre.

Sydney Women’s Counselling Centre (Campsie)
(02) 9718 1955
(Mandarin and Cantonese-speaking counsellors available)

Other free counselling and medical testing services

Beyond Blue
Support for people dealing with depression and anxiety.
Web chat: daily 3pm – midnight
1300 224 636 (24 hours)

Support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex people.
Web chat: daily 3pm – midnight
1800 184 527 (3pm – midnight)

24-hour crisis support line with counsellors trained to assist people experiencing a mental health crisis, including suicidal thoughts.
13 11 14

NSW Rape Crisis Centre
24-hour telephone counselling service for people who are survivors of, or at risk of, rape, sexual assault or family violence.
1800 424 017

Youthblock Youth Health Service
Youthblock Youth Health Service is located in Redfern and provides free and confidential assistance to people aged 12–25 years. Staff can give advice on physical and sexual health, mental health, relationships, and drug and alcohol issues.
(02) 9562 5640

Sydney Sexual Health Centre
Testing for sexually-transmitted infections, as well as counselling and education regarding safe sex practices.

NSW Sexual Health Infolink
Free and confidential advice and support from sexual health nurses, doctors and counsellors.
1800 451 624

Other NSW sexual health services
Find other sexual health services throughout NSW.

Useful health and medical services on campus

The Union Pharmacy
(02) 9660 3338
Level 3, Wentworth Building (G01), Camperdown Campus

Chris MacMahon, Optometrist
(02) 9552 3324
Level 3, Wentworth Building (G01), Camperdown Campus

Campus Chiropractic and Wellness
(02) 9351 8099
Level 3, Wentworth Building (G01), Camperdown Campus

The Sports Clinic
(02) 9351 8118
Corner Western Ave and Physics Road, Camperdown Campus

Pilates Physio Style (physiotherapy and pilates only)
0410 531 451
Shop 21, Level 3, Corner City Road and Butlin Ave, Wentworth Building (G01), Camperdown Campus

International students

Translator service
Free telephone interpreting service for health and medical assistance. Call the Telephone Interpreter Service (TIS) on 13 14 50 for immediate phone interpreting.

Medical insurance
Always carry your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) card with you on campus. You may need to present your card when seeking assistance. Sydney University prefers Allianz OSHC, and this is a good choice for psychological counselling cover. However, it is your responsibility to make sure you understand the services covered by your insurer.

Emergency treatment
You can receive treatment in the emergency department of a public hospital. If you have been injured as a result of a criminal act against you (such as sexual assault, accident or fire) you should not be charged fees. If you attend an emergency department for other reasons, you could be charged a fee. Contact your OSHC provider to see if you can claim a rebate.

Read more about OSHC and going to hospital.

Non-emergency treatment
Seek treatment at a general practice medical centre for anything that is not an emergency. International students will need to pay a consultation fee and then claim a rebate from their OSHC provider. For psychological counselling the maximum rebate paid by Allianz is $124.40 per session.

Psychologists and counsellors

Uplift Psychological Services
Consultation fee: $125
You must see a GP (such as University Health Service) and ask for a referral to Uplift for counselling. When you call tell them you are an international student and need to see a clinical psychologist, to get the maximum rebate from Allianz.
(02) 9698 1822
83-89 Renwick Street, Redfern

Therapeutic Axis
Consultation fee: $125–$180
When you call tell them you are an international student and need to see a clinical psychologist, to get the maximum rebate from Allianz.
(02) 9692 9788
125 St Johns Road, Glebe

Mindwise Psychology Practice
15 sessions free per year with a Medicare card and a referral from your GP or psychiatrist.
Initial consultation fee: $150
(02) 8733 3169
Suite 2, 26 French Avenue, Bankstown

Contact SUPRA for advice on other medical and psychological counselling services who provide the maximum Allianz rebate.

The SUPRA office is closed – but you can still get help!

To help protect the health of our community during COVID-19 our Postgraduate Advocacy Service, Legal Service and council are working from home. We are working to full capacity and are providing timely and accurate information, advice and support.