Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages

Fee Refunds


If you decide you don’t want to do a unit of study or course, you may be entitled to a fee refund. How much you get back depends on if you are a domestic or international student, and when you apply for the refund. All students should take note of the census dates for maximum refunds.


International student refunds

For coursework students, the census dates in each semester are March 31 and August 31. For research students, the census dates for each of the research periods are: January 31; March 31; August 31; October 31.

If you have accepted admission to a course, but decide that you are unable to, or do not want to, do the course, you can request a refund in Sydney Student (go to ‘My finance’, ‘Your finances’, ‘Continue’, then ‘Request refund’). If the application is before the commencement of the teaching or research period, you are entitled to a refund of fees, minus a 10% administration charge.

If you have accepted an offer of admission to a course and decide to commence your studies next semester or research period, this is referred to as deferring your studies, and if you gave notice before the relevant census date,100% of fees paid may be transferred to the next semester or research period.

If you apply after the start of the semester or research period, but before the census date, you are entitled to a refund of 50% of your fees paid, or a credit for your next fee instalment equivalent to 100% of the tuition fees for that semester or research period.

If you only wish to withdraw from an individual unit of study, but continue enrolment in other units, you will be entitled to a full refund of the relevant unit of study fees, so long as you do so before the census date.


After the census date

International students who apply for a refund after the census date may only be entitled to a refund where you can prove special circumstances. You need to apply to the International Fees team and attach evidence with your application. For more information, see the University’s guidelines and requirements at:

If you require assistance in explaining your special circumstances and collecting support documentation please contact SUPRA for assistance.

For more information, see the University’s International Student Fee Refund Policy 2017:


New permanent residents

If you are an international student who has paid international student fees, and then obtains Australian permanent residency, you can get a 100% refund of the semester fee paid, minus any agents’ fees incurred by the University. You will then pay any tuition fees that apply to domestic students. You need to advise the University before the relevant census date for the change in your status to take effect in that semester.


Domestic student refunds

Domestic students paying full fees upfront are entitled to a full refund of those fees if you withdraw from a unit of study prior to the relevant census date. After the census date, you can apply to the University’s Student Centre for a fee refund or remission of HELP debt (whichever is relevant) if you have special circumstances.

To access more information and forms for refunds and remissions:


Check your enrolment

Each time you receive a notice from the University, check that all of the information, including your current personal email or postal address, is accurate. This will help you avoid being in a situation where you may be required to pay extra because you forgot to withdraw officially, or because you did not notice an administrative error. It is your responsibility to check these notices and notify the University of anything that needs to be changed.


Summer and Winter School

The Summer and Winter School have census dates for each unit of study. You are eligible for a full refund if you withdraw on or before the relevant census date, which is the date that your enrolment requirements must be finalised.

If you have paid your tuition fee and withdraw prior to the relevant census date your Sydney Student account will be in credit, meaning the fee will automatically be applied to your next fee instalment. You may also request a refund via Sydney Student.

Students who have paid via FEE-HELP and withdraw prior to the relevant census date will have the debt automatically cancelled.

For more information see the Sydney Summer School website:


If your application is rejected

Domestic coursework students are entitled to request a review. This should be sent in writing to the HECS and Domestic Fees Office within 28 days of receiving the original advice and should include your reasons. Email:

International students may apply for a review by email to:
Your application for review must be sent within 28 days of receiving the original decision. You must state your reasons for requesting the review.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?