How to appeal your grade

If you don’t agree with your final mark and you want to appeal start by reading our comprehensive guide to academic appeals for coursework students.

Deadline to appeal:

For final exam and assessment results published on 13 Decemberthe deadline for your stage 1 appeal is Thursday 18 January 2024

Note: please be aware that we previously published 17 January 2024 as the final date to appeal. This was incorrect and has been updated.

Still have more questions?

Read our stage 1 appeals: frequently asked questions to check if we’ve already answered them.

For free, confidential and independent advice contact our casework service for help.​

Appeal or complaint?

It can be confusing to know whether you want to lodge an appeal or make a complaint.

An academic appeal allows you to challenge a specific academic decision, such as a grade, or the outcome of a special consideration application.

A complaint is a way to raise an issue with the faculty or the University over matters such as discrimination, harassment, or an issue with the quality of teaching or assessment.

Find out more about whether to make an appeal or complaint.

If you need advice about whether to make an appeal or complaint contact our caseworkers for help.

Can I discontinue a unit that I failed?

If you have experienced special circumstances that were beyond your control, such as serious illness or misadventure, and you were affected for more than 20 business days (around one calendar month), you can apply for late discontinuation under special circumstances. If your application is approved, you will receive a DC grade.

A DC grade does not count as a fail grade, it doesn’t affect your Weighted Average Mark, and you will receive a fee refund or remission for the unit.

Contact our professional caseworkers for help with your application.

Find out more about discontinuing a unit

Can’t access your results?

Your results can display as Results Incomplete (RI), or your record may have sanctions applied. This means you aren’t able to access your results at all. This can happen for many different reasons. These can include:

  • outstanding debts to the University, including University-owned accommodation, the library, University-provided loans, or student fees
  • an ongoing misconduct matter being managed by the Student Affairs Unit
  • an ongoing academic integrity matter being reviewed by your faculty’s Educational Integrity Coordinator.

If none of these reasons sound right, or you have special circumstances requiring you to access your results right away, contact our casework service for advice.