If you‘re moving out of your accommodation or property, make sure to check your rights when it comes to returning your property to the landlord and claiming your bond.

  • If you have a Residential Tenancy Agreement, your landlord can’t force you to have your property professionally cleaned, unless you have a pet.
  • You should claim your bond through Rental Bonds Online immediately after you return the keys to the landlord or agent. Read more about claiming your bond.
  • If you live in purpose-built student accommodation, the rules are different – read our advice below.
  • Regardless of your tenancy type, there will be set notice periods for leaving your tenancy. Notice should be given in writing and well within the set period. Read more about notice periods.

If you have any questions about ending your tenancy, or are having difficulties with your landlord or provider, SUPRA’s professional caseworkers can help. Contact us for advice.

Leaving purpose-built student accommodation

If you’re leaving your student accommodation, make sure you check your contract! Student accommodation isn’t covered by the Residential Tenancies Act, and the rules about termination are in your contract.

Providers often don’t allow students to pay a break fee to leave their tenancies early – instead they demand payment right up until the end of the contract.

What else is different?

  • Your contract can’t state anything that is illegal, but because it is not governed by the Residential Tenancies Act 2010, your rights and obligations vary from contract to contract, rather than being standard under this law.
  • If you’re renting through student accommodation and you have a conflict over your contract, you can’t seek mediation through the NSW Civil and Administrative Affairs Tribunal. Conflicts generally need to be mediated between yourself and the accommodation provider.
  • Students living in student accommodation are sometimes more vulnerable than their peers who have standard tenancy agreements — because they’re not protected by the Residential Tenancies Act.

How do I know if I’m in student accommodation?

Purpose-built student accommodation generally provides residents with a private or shared bedroom and bathroom, common spaces, laundry or meal service, and a staff member or concierge. In such accommodation, your contract with the provider covers all of these services, not just the rent of a property.

Get help from SUPRA

If you have any questions about leaving your student accommodation, contact our professional, free casework service for help.