Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors
Search in posts
Search in pages
  1. Home
  2. HDR Hub
  3. Visas and migration
  4. 485 Post Study Work Visa

Higher degree research students and the 485 Post Study Work Visa

The 485 visa PSW allows international students to remain in Australia to get work experience. There are some important factors to remember when applying for this visa as an HDR student.

  • For all 485 PSW visa applicants, you can’t apply until you have completed the requirements for your degree, and you must then apply within 6 months of the date you are notified of your course completion.
  • For HDR students this is the date on the letter which advises you that you’ve completed the requirements to be awarded the degree. It is NOT when you submit your thesis. It is NOT when you’re advised that you’ve been awarded but need to make emendations. It is also NOT the date your degree is conferred (your graduation date).
  • The University will send you an email advising you when you have completed your requirements. This is the evidence you need to provide to the Department of Home Affairs with your application.

Further information can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Our Legal Service can help you if you need advice about applying for a 485 or any other visa.

Stuck in Uni bureaucracy?

Our services are here to help.

Postgraduate Advocacy Service

Our caseworkers are experts on Uni policy, and advocate on behalf of Usyd postgrads to improve your rights and research conditions. 

SUPRA Legal Service

Our solicitors can assist with a wide range of legal issues, from intellectual property to contracts, as well as visas and migration law.