Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages

Privacy & Rights to Information



There are a number of laws, regulations, and principles that set privacy standards for dealing with information that identifies you.


Commonwealth law

Federal privacy law applies to the Australian government and all businesses and not-for-profits with an annual turnover of more than $3 million. It also applies to some smaller entities engaged in certain types of business activities, as well as to some specific acts or practices of otherwise uncovered entities.

Federal law is administered by the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC). Detailed information about your rights and how to make a complaint can be found at:


State law

New South Wales (NSW) privacy law applies here in NSW and address two groups of information – personal information and health information. The law that governs personal information applies to NSW public sector agencies, including government departments, local councils, and universities such as USyd. The law related to health information applies to all these agencies, as well as public and private sector health organisations, health service providers and large businesses that store health information.

This legislation is administered by the Information and Privacy Commissioner (IPC). Detailed information about your rights and how to make a complaint can be found at:


Protecting your privacy

Technology has made identity theft and related crime a big industry. Many people’s personal information is easily available online, and creating forged or fraudulent documents can now be done relatively easily. Sometimes all it takes are some basic facts about you, such as your name, address, date of birth, bank account and/or credit card numbers, or passwords, for your identity to be stolen.

For 10 tips on how to protect your personal information:

For more information about online scams which aim to get your personal information:


Recording people without permission at USyd

Many postgraduates want to record other people for study purposes. However, even if you feel you’ve got good reasons for wanting to record someone such as a unit coordinator, supervisor, lecturer, tutor, any USyd staff member, or another student; the Surveillance Devices Act 2007 states that it’s against the law in NSW to record someone without their knowledge and consent. It’s also against the law to have a recording of a conversation, obtained illegally, in your possession. This means if you record someone without first telling them, and without obtaining their consent before you make the recording, and they later find out, you could face criminal charges. If they don’t agree to being recorded, but you want to document a meeting, you can take notes either during or immediately after the meeting, and then date and sign your notes. You can also ask that any minutes from the meeting taken by someone else be emailed to you.


Rights to Information

Your rights to information are also governed by either federal law or state law, depending on who holds the information you want to access.


How can I access my own personal information?

Commonwealth government agencies
Federal law applies to Australian government agencies and their contracted service provision agencies. Detailed information about your rights and how to access the information held by these agencies is available at:

NSW public sector agencies (including Usyd)
NSW law applies to all NSW public sector agencies including government departments, local councils, and universities. Detailed information about your rights and how to access your personal information can be found at:

To comply with the law in this area, Usyd has its own policies and procedures in place. To access information held by the university, go to:


Further information

If you need further advice or assistance with a privacy complaint or with accessing your information, the SUPRA Legal Service can help you.



This information is current as at December 2018 and is intended as a guide to the law as it applies to people who live in or are affected by the law as it applies in NSW. It does not constitute legal advice.


Can’t find what you’re looking for?