Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors
Search in posts
Search in pages

Visa provisions for Hong Kong passport holders

Current (and future) students

If you’re a student from Hong Kong you’ll be eligible for a 5 year temporary graduate visa (a 485 visa) once you successfully complete your course.

You will still need to meet all of the other eligibility requirements for the 485 visa. That is, you must:

  • meet the Australian Study Requirement:
    • have undertaken a course, or allowable combination of courses, of at least 2 years
    • have studied this, or these, courses for at least 16 calendar months
  • apply within 6 months of course completion
  • be onshore (in Australia) to apply
  • meet all other migration requirements

Application is by the usual process through your ImmiAccount.

Former students

If you’re already on a 485 visa you’ll have been granted between 2–4 years, depending on the degree you completed. You will be eligible to have your visa extended for 5 years from 9 July 2020. This is in addition to the time you have already been in Australia.

Permanent residency after your 485 Visa

At the end of the 5 years on your 485 visa you’ll be provided with a pathway to permanent residency. You’ll still be required to go through all the usual migration processes; and meet the health, character, English language and other requirements.

Global Talent program

If you meet the specific criteria for this program your application will be prioritised.

More information on the new provisions for all Hong Kong passport holders.


This information is current as at 9 July 2020 and is intended as a guide to the law as it applies to people who live in or are affected by the law as it applies in NSW. It does not constitute legal advice.

Need help?

Our casework and legal services are here for you.

Postgraduate Advocacy Service

Our caseworkers can help with any problems you face while you study at Usyd, from academic appeals to renting.

SUPRA Legal Service

Our solicitors can assist with a wide range of legal issues, including visas, migration law and intellectual property.