Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages

Stage 1 appeals: frequently asked questions

Resolution with original decision-maker (informal) appeals

Not happy with your exam results? We have answered your most common questions about the stage1/informal appeals process. This is also known as ‘resolution with the original decision maker’ and is the first level of appeal.

You have 15 working days from the release of results to submit an appeal in the first instance. Weekends, public holidays and the University closure in December-January do not count in terms of this deadline.

Q. I found out I failed my final exam. Can I talk with my unit coordinator?

Yes. You may contact your unit coordinator to request feedback. Before you contact your unit coordinator, attend your exam review session if possible.

Q. Can I review my exam paper?

Yes. It is your right to review your exam paper.

Some faculties and schools have a set timetable for exam review sessions. You may be required to register to attend one of these sessions. Make sure you follow the instructions that your faculty will email to you. You will not be able to discuss your answers during an exam review session.

Q. Why should I wait until after I’ve reviewed my paper before submitting my appeal?

Attending your review session will give you an opportunity to understand the marking and any written feedback. You can use this feedback to have a more constructive and informed discussion with your unit coordinator.

Q. What can I do if I can’t attend the scheduled exam paper review?

If you are unable to attend, email your unit coordinator and request another time to review your paper.

Q. I am overseas and I can’t review my paper but want to appeal. What can I do?

Business School students who are overseas may submit a ‘file note’ stating you are overseas and unable to review your exam paper. In the file note you can request general feedback to allow you to understand your performance in the exam, and when you return to Sydney you may consider a further appeal.

Q. My faculty won’t allow review of multiple-choice questions. Why?

The University makes these rules to manage educational integrity risks. If you have concerns about not getting access to your multiple-choice exam script, contact your faculty’s Associate Dean of Education. For further feedback on your exam paper and to better understand areas for improvement, contact your unit coordinator.

Q. What should I look for in the exam paper review?

You will be given approximately 7-10 minutes to quickly review the paper. The important things to look for:

  • Is the calculation of your total marks correct?
  • Are there marks given against each question and written feedback?
  • Are there questions you think you answered adequately, and you may be able to argue for a different mark?

Q. At the exam paper review I was not allowed to take notes or photos. Why is this not allowed? 

The University wants to minimise the risk of exam questions and papers being shared. After you leave the exam review room, you should write down all of your notes immediately so that you don’t forget any.

Q. What if the exam paper review is after the stage 1 appeal deadline?

Don’t wait for the exam paper review date. If you require further feedback or an explanation about your mark, email your unit coordinator within the stage 1 appeal deadline.

Q. I reviewed my exam paper but there were no comments and only a total mark. Can I ask for more information?

Yes. You can contact your unit coordinator to request feedback on your exam or the marking of your exam paper. University policy states you have a right to understand your assessment marking and be provided with feedback to allow you to make improvements. Your unit coordinator may ask you to submit a stage 1 appeal if you require further feedback.

Q. I have reviewed my exam paper and I am still not satisfied with my results. How and when do I start an appeal?

You may submit a stage 1 appeal to your unit coordinator within 15 working days from the date you received your result. Check the University student appeals website for information on how to write an appeal. This website also states if your faculty has specific appeals guidelines. For example, the Business School uses a ‘file note’ form for their stage 1 appeals. Some unit coordinators offer a meeting at the first stage of appeal, which you can request by sending an email.

Q. Who will review my stage 1 appeal?

The unit coordinator for your subject will review your stage 1 appeal, or they may delegate a tutor or another academic to review it on their behalf. The person who reviews your stage 1 appeal should provide their name and contact details.

Q. How long will it take for a decision on my stage 1 appeal?

The University policy does not provide a time frame for stage 1 appeal decisions. However, if you do not receive a decision within one week we recommend you respectfully email the unit coordinator and ask when you will receive an outcome.

Q. One of my tutors treated me badly during the semester. Can I use this to appeal my grade?

All University staff are expected to demonstrate professional and respectful behaviour towards all students. Grades are awarded on academic merit and the University uses anonymous marking. If you think you have been treated badly by a tutor, you can submit a complaint. Contact us for assistance in writing a complaint.

Q. What is a re-mark?

A re-mark is where your original answer, paper, or assessment is marked again. This could be by the same marker or a different academic. Your grade may stay the same or be adjusted. It is possible to lose marks if your assessment is re-marked.

Q. Can I still appeal if the faculty states that my grade was checked by multiple markers?


Q. I got a 49 so why can’t the faculty award a conceded pass grade?

The University of Sydney does not allow for a conceded pass grade. If you received 49 you should review your exam paper and request further feedback or consider an appeal if you believe you have good reasons.

Q. Do I need to use special language in my appeal letter?

No special language or format is required.

Q. Does SUPRA have a list of acceptable/strong appeal arguments?

No. We recommend you clearly explain the reasons why you believe you were incorrectly marked and/or you should have earned a higher mark according to the assessment criteria. Be specific about which questions or exam responses you are appealing against.

Q. Can I argue it is too expensive for me to retake this unit or that I need to graduate on time due to visa/career/family/health reasons?

Unfortunately, although these experiences are very difficult, they are not considered reasons for an appeal.

Q. Will submitting my appeal before the 15 working day deadline help my chances of a successful outcome?

No. However, submitting your stage 1 appeal as soon as you can means you should get answers to your questions or concerns sooner. Hopefully this will allow you more time to reflect and consider your next steps.

Q. Where can I find the assessment criteria?

Check your unit of study outline. If you need a copy or you’re not sure what a unit of study outline is, contact your unit coordinator.

Q. How do I calculate the 15 working day deadline?

You calculate 15 days from the date the University releases results, not counting weekends, public holidays or the University shutdown. The 15 days do not start from when you personally looked at your results or emails.

Q. I’ve submitted my stage 1 appeal. What can I do while I wait?

We understand it can be stressful when you are waiting for your outcome. If you have waited for at least one week, we suggest you politely follow up with your unit coordinator by email.

Q. This is my final unit and my final semester. Can I do anything to speed up the decision-making process?

If the outcome is taking longer than one week you may contact the unit coordinator and explain your situation. You may ask if they require further information.

Q. I don’t think the unit coordinator likes me. Can I informally appeal to someone else?

In most cases a stage 1 appeal will be directed to the relevant unit coordinator.

Q. Can I argue my exam performance was affected by illness, emergency or a personal problem?

Serious illness or misadventure are not reasons for an academic appeal, but you may submit a late application for special consideration for an assessment. In your application you will need to explain your reason for applying late and have appropriate medical documentation relevant to the date of the assessment.

Q. I failed a subject but had lots of health issues. Can I ask for special consideration?

If you have appropriate medical documentation that covers the period of your assessment and a good explanation for the delay in application you may submit a late special consideration application. If you had ongoing health issues throughout the entire semester, you may consider applying for a DC grade for the unit of study instead of individual special consideration applications for every assessment.

Q. I already contacted my tutor/lecturer/unit coordinator about my stage 1 appeal. They replied and I am still not satisfied with the outcome. Does that mean I have already completed my stage 1 appeal? What else can I do?

If the decision to decline your appeal also refers you to the academic appeals policy, this concludes stage 1. If your unit coordinator replies to your request for feedback/request for change in mark and does not invite further discussion, this can also conclude stage 1. You now have the option to submit a stage 2 faculty-level appeal where it will be reviewed by a senior academic.

Q. Can I ask SUPRA for assistance in my appeal?

Yes. We are happy to offer advice and to review your written appeal document. Read more detailed advice on appeals and special consideration.

For further assistance contact us.

Need more help?

Student Advice and Advocacy Service

Our Student Advice and Advocacy Officers (SAAOs) can help with academic and wellbeing issues, such as academic appeals, renting and supervision.

Read more about the SUPRA SAAO Service

Legal Service

Our Legal Service solicitors can help with a range of legal issues, including migration law*, intellectual property, contracts, fines and criminal law.

Read more about the SUPRA Legal Service

*MARNs 1911813, 1912229